Tyneham & Worbarrow

… where time stopped in 1943

Dorset ONLINE

Parish Clerks Network

Tyneham Church - St. Mary


Tyneham Church c.1920

Buildings & Places:

Tyneham Village

Double Cottages

Gardener’s Cottage

Gwyle Cottages

Laundry Cottages

Museum Cottage

Post Office Row

Rectory

Rectory Cottages

Telephone Kiosk

The Ponds

Tyneham Church

Tyneham Churchyard

Tyneham Farm

Tyneham House

Tyneham School

Village Pond

Village Tap

Worbarrow

Coastguard Station

Fern Hollow

Gate Cottages

Hill Cottage

Mintern’s Cottage

Rose Cottage

Sea Cottage

Sheepleaze

The Bungalow

Worbarrow Bay

Worbarrow Tout

Others

Baltington

North Egliston

Povington

RAF Brandy Bay

South Egliston

Whiteway

Tyneham Church boarded up c.1970

St Mary's is a small church built of Limestone rubble dating from the 13th Century, the South trancept was rebuilt in the mid 19th century by the Rev. William Bond, the church contains memorials to the Bond family of Tyneham House. After the military took over the church was neglected and some fittings were moved, the bells and organ were moved to Steeple church and the Jacobean pulpit to Lulworth Camp.The church is now maintained by the military and has become the site of an exhibition giving information on the history of the Tyneham valley. Tyneham parish also includes the ruined Hamlets of Povington, Egliston & Worbarrow, cleared at the same time as Tyneham itself.

Click here to see List of Rectors

Tyneham Church April 2012

© Copyright J. Weet

Image reproduced here by kind permission of J. Weet  - view his flickr photostream

Stained Glass Windows

© Copyright J. Weet

Images reproduced here by kind permission of J. Weet  - view his flickr photostream

© Copyright J. Weet


© Copyright J. Weet


Tyneham Church from the east October 2012