Tyneham & Worbarrow

… where time stopped in 1943

Dorset ONLINE

Parish Clerks Network

Worbarrow


At the time of the 1901 Census this remote coastal hamlet of seven cottages and a Coastguard Station was home to over fifty people. Coastguard families accounted for more than half that number. When the Station closed in 1911 the population plummeted and never recovered. Based around fishing and the nearby school and church at Tyneham life here had remained unchanged for generations.

During the 1930's, with increased car ownership, this beautiful spot became popular with tourists. Enterprising fishermen, supplemented their incomes by selling cooked crabs and lobsters, home-made beer and cream teas.

In 1943, the ten remaining residents, most of them elderly, were evacuated from their homes. Worbarrow and the surrounding area was needed to train Allied troops for the D-Day landings. The villagers never returned. After the war the Government decided to retain most of the requisitioned land and Worbarrow became part of the Lulworth Ranges.

Little evidence of their homes remains today with only the shell of Gate Cottages visible beside the track to Tyneham.



Worbarrow from the Tout c.1918

A postcard view  with artificial colours added, most notably the false red roof tiles!

Worbarrow from the Tout c.1918

On the cliff top, left to right, are The Bungalow, and Sheepleaze

In the centre, not far above beach level is Sea Cottage

The coastguard station has gone but the boundary walls and an out-house remain.

Smoke appears to be rising from the chimney of Hill Cottage (far right).

Buildings & Places:

Tyneham Village

Double Cottages

Gardener’s Cottage

Gwyle Cottages

Laundry Cottages

Museum Cottage

Post Office Row

Rectory

Rectory Cottages

Telephone Kiosk

The Ponds

Tyneham Church

Tyneham Churchyard

Tyneham Farm

Tyneham House

Tyneham School

Village Pond

Village Tap

Worbarrow

Coastguard Station

Fern Hollow

Gate Cottages

Hill Cottage

Mintern’s Cottage

Rose Cottage

Sea Cottage

Sheepleaze

The Bungalow

Worbarrow Bay

Worbarrow Tout

Others

Baltington

North Egliston

Povington

RAF Brandy Bay

South Egliston

Whiteway

Worbarrow

Coastguard Station

Fern Hollow

Gate Cottages

Hill Cottage





Mintern’s Cottage

Rose Cottage

Sea Cottage

Sheepleaze





The Bungalow








Worbarrow

Not far from the cliff-edge is The Bungalow, the house to its right is Sheepleaze,

and in the dip is Sea Cottage

The Information Sign at Worbarrow

Photo courtesy of Allan Lawton © Allan Lawton 2012


Be sure to visit

Worbarrow Bay and Worbarrow Tout

In ‘Local Landmarks’